3193 Bluffhill Cnr Harare Drive & Lomagundi Road, Harare | (+263) 739 677 357
A welcome development from the government for civil servants below are procedures and Requirements for a Member to be eligible to benefit :
1. The member shall submit an application to the Head of Ministry requesting authority to import a vehicle under the scheme.
2. The Head of Ministry should assess whether the member meets the following conditions before any recommendation letter is granted: that the member:
i) has served at least ten (10) years of continuous service in the Public Service or Service Commissions except in cases approved by the Commission.
ii) must have a valid Driver’s Licence and in the case of a member living with disability a valid Driver’s Licence of a designated driver.
iii) is not subject to any disciplinary proceedings at the time of application.
iv) has not benefitted from this scheme within a period of five (5) years prior to submission of this application.
3. If the member satisfies the above criteria, the Head of Ministry shall forward the recommendations together with the relevant copies of Driver’s Licence and current pay slip (original) to the Public Service Commission for clearance.
4. Once clearance has been granted, the Public Service Commission shall forward the recommendations to Treasury for concurrence.
5. After Treasury concurrence has been granted, the member may proceed to import a suitable vehicle as guided by specifications in item 2.6 below.
6. Specifications to be met.
i) The vehicle should not be older than ten (10) years from date of manufacture at the time of importation, unless specifically exempted from this requirement by the Public Service Commission in consultation with Treasury.
ii) The Government shall grant rebate of duty on a motor vehicle with a maximum import value of USS10 000.00 (Kindly note this is now a graded benefit)
iii) The vehicle must meet the specifications under the Customs Tariff Codes
7. For the rebate of duty on import of a motor vehicle to be processed, a member shall submit the following documents to the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA):
i) Recommendation letter from the Head of Ministry.
ii) Clearance from the Public Service Commission
iii) Treasury concurrence
iv) Copy of a valid Driver’s Licence and in the case of a member living with disability, a valid Driver’s Licence of a designated driver
v) Commercial invoice and bill of lading
vi) Proof of residence
vii) Copy of identity card
8. Please take note that the grant of rebate of duty on the motor vehicle purchased shall be revoked immediately when a member resigns or is discharged from the Public Service before the expiry of five (5) years from the date when the rebate was granted. Such member will immediately be liable to pay duty for the vehicle.
If you need help with importation get in touch with us on below contacts.